Saturday, February 19, 2011

For me, making any such generalization that whites are privileged, goes against my libra tendencies, however I do agree with the statement, but it doesn’t apply to everyone. I was the only white girl living in the projects, and began working at 13 yrs old, and have struggled financially ever since. Even now when I get starbucks I appreciate it. White America has had many advantages such as inheritance, home ownership, job callbacks, and higher education. There are a lot of articles about keeping a network for school-work transitions and that whites may have an advantage in this area also. From senator chairs to county jobs, if I think about the area we live most are white men. Unfortunately this view is limited to a fifty-mile radius. Older white men control most blue-collar jobs and they can offer ‘inside information; to other white men, such as referrals, job opening information and training. The stereotypes that surround groups of race are influential in the hiring process, whether we are racist or not, and that influences the privilege white men have.

No comments:

Post a Comment