Friday, February 18, 2011
Tokens
According to the text if we don’t have a diverse group of friends or acquaintances each person from a differing culture we come upon becomes a ‘token’ representing all the members of that race. I found this interesting, and because I knew many cultures growing up, but no Chinese, Indian or Persian, when I moved to San Jose, Cupertino none less, I was surprised and confused with the cultures that surrounded me. At 27 years old, and only thirty miles from where I was raised, it became clear what other cultures really flourished here. Now looking for an apartment they require you to speak Chinese in many of the postings. The first Persian I met did really become a token in my mind. What he told me of his country became what I thought with each other Persian (Iranian) I met thereafter. Additionally, Kelly from the office was the only Indian person (other than Slumdog Millionaire) that I could reference in my mind of the idea I had of India. When I began working for an Indian family here in San Jose I was so shell-shocked. I feel I have an open mind, and actually appreciate culture very much, it is unfortunate my family has been in America for five generations, and we have no tradition or culture, it is sad, but at the same time I’m so grateful to be raised in this country.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The idea of 'token' members of a race is a joke to some but is certainly a serious matter. Token symbols of cultures just further stereotyping and continue the ignorance of those who buy into stereotyping. While I don't necessarily disagree with stereotyping, after all they are based on repeated actions/traditions/traits of a certain group, I believe it is wrong to simply assume that all members of that group will act the same or think the same. The same can be said about token members - It is OK if you look at them and see stereotypes but it is not OK to just assume that everyone acts like that token member or shares the same traits. It's also like saying all girls can't play sports and like barbies, or all men treat women the same.
ReplyDelete