Saturday, February 12, 2011

coca-cola's big oops

In chapter 9 page 145-147 I found to be specifically interesting. Asking questions is the heart of group decision-making. This will help identify the problem to be solved and gathering the correct information to solve it. The six questions: for who is it a problem, what is the problem, why is it a problem, when is it a problem, where is it a problem and how is it a problem? The example from the text I found  interesting was when Coca Cola introduced the “new coke” they expected it to become very popular quickly. Coca Cola was forced to reverse the decision quickly when customers protested and sales dropped. “In these situations, highly skilled individuals and groups made decisions with negative impacts on their long-term goals and with consequences for large numbers of people. They made these decisions because they failed to adequately address the larger contexts and dynamic interactions surrounding their decisions.” I thought it was interesting that even a large company like coca-cola had made such a crucial mistake. They should look at what stands between the company and their goals. Then ask the six questions addressed above. There are plenty of companies (including my own) who take rash decisions, or worse wait too long to make a move. When preparing for change in the structure in a company I realize in meetings and discussions around change, these six questions really do get used.

1 comment:

  1. Good job on your post this week! I like how you used the example from the book on coca cola an how they failed to market out their new drink. I think was very interesting that even a multi-million dollar company like coca cola can still make errors like that. I believe that using the group decision-making technique can help any one with their problems. The reason being is because it causes you to think of all the different possible problems that might occur that you would never have thought of. Using this technique prepares you for possible problems so that if they do occur you will be prepared to correct them in time.

    ReplyDelete