Two principles I enjoyed reading that men and women decode nonverbal communication differently and nonverbal behaviors are guided by the context and power of relationships.
“Doing the right thing at the right time in the right place summarizes this principle.” The example from the text was hallarious, referencing men slapping butts on a football team but would never think to do the same thing in an office meeting. I find it hard to tame my humor at work, where I should be more professional, so the context of ‘power’ really does regulate our nonverbal communication. Men and women definitely read nonverbal cues differently When men and women decode nonverbal communication in different manners it can negatively affect the group. I think women attach quietness with snobby or rude, whereas a man wouldn’t think this initially. In a group setting, attaching negative association to people happens unconsciously. The text does cover this on page 100, as relational statements. My next blog will delve into this topic further.
Good job on you post! I think it was very interesting that you found that “men and women decode nonverbal communication differently” I think it’s a fact that men and women think and see things differently because we think at totally different levels. I like how you stated that “women decode nonverbal communication in different manners it can negatively affect the group.” Because men may see certain things as not as negative because we don’t really read into things as well as women do which why we decode it differently. These differences are what allow women to communicate at a higher level because they decode things we don’t.
ReplyDeleteI love that we picked some of the same prinicples to talk about. I too, really enjoyed learning about how men and women are different with their nonverbal communications and it is something I really do believe in. I think greatly in relationships, nonverbal communication for women are a lot harder than for the men. I think for men they are more passive when we want to talk about feelings and problems, they aren’t the ones to jump in and poor their heart. I loved that you used the word “unconsciously” because I think a lot of our nonverbal humor is done without much thought. An eye roll, a high five and a gasp all are done in quick moments of action that sometimes don’t have much thought.
ReplyDelete