Monday, May 9, 2011
The small group communication project was awesome. I enjoyed observing a different aspect of the company I work for, who up until now, I'd only seen around, and had little knowledge of the workings of their group. It opened my eyes to management styles, and I felt throughout the paper I spent a great deal of time explaning what the leader was doing and how her actions affected the group - in my opinion. I absolutely loved the project and definitely think anyone going into business or working on a team needs this experience. In a sense it's working at a daycare prior to having a child. Although it's an analogy - a term gained from this couse also- it really applies. After doing the project I feel better inclined as a manager to see what leadership styles I'd prefer such as( transformational). In this process of watching, it allowed me to see how meetings could be enhanced and looked forward to , rather than a duty. When the group get's enthusiastic and has synergy it provides a better overall work environment. Something I would change, is allow students to read other submissions at the end of the course. I think we could all gain something by reading another point of view. The three most striking memories that come to mind when recalling the group meetings was the lack of humor or emotion, lack of group synergy, and authoritarian style management which created cliques and a bit of nonverbal tension. Loved the project- !
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That is great that you had the opportunity to observe another group that you work with. I also had the chance to do the same and it was a quite rewarding experience! I liked seeing how the other group functions and how their conflicts are similar to the ones I have in my own group. I like that you made the point that everyone should experience this type of observation if they will be going into business or any type of working environment involving group/team work. It is really helpful to understand every aspect of the business to truly be successful! I'm glad you had a positive experience with this project :)
ReplyDelete