Saturday, April 30, 2011


I have definitely used the avoidance strategy by withdrawing from the group and the conflict is never fixed that way, I usually just quit. If avoidance is due to an individual’s lack of information, understanding, or any particular opinion on the substance of the conflict, it can be a constructive strategy. Collaborative conflict on the other hand is more healthy and the best way to address issues openly. However competitive conflict is a win lose situation, however can be a ‘fun’ debate and used most often when there is little time. I’ve used competitive conflict in a leadership class in high school. The group decided together and rushed to complete the project a particular way. Ultimately it worked out to our favor but I think if it hadn’t the group wouldn’t have been happy. If someone has a very strong opinion on how things should happen this could pose a problem. Collaboration is a win-win much like a compromise. This is the best way to solve a problem and best for each sides of the issue. At work, there are rarely ways for everything to go smoothly so between departments we talk about each groups needs and essentially decide on one goal. Many times people can feel ‘railroaded’ but we all understand it’s impossible to get EVERYTHING done without this happening occasionally. I would say collaboration wins over competition.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post Coffee Shop Girl! I would also like to agree that collaboration should be chosen over competition. In addition, I am also guilty of using the avoidance strategy, more specifically destructive avoidance. The textbook describes this as "missing group meetings or refusing to participate" (p.212). After learning about it's negative effects, I learned to face conflicts head on because like what the text mentions, "conflict is healthiest when group members face it directly and choose an appropriate strategy for dealing with it" (p. 213). An effective and appropriate way to deal with conflict is to use more collaboration techniques. These include being open, respectful, and listening to all perspectives. This strategy takes time but it will eventually lead to consensus.

    ReplyDelete