Group size effects the group participation because the larger the group and more diverse, the better CMC will serve the participation of it’s members. Anonymity allows members to be individual and not conform to group expectations. Also, the members who sit in the same room, even while using CMC as their only communication tend to be more conscious of their social-personal identities. This can hinder a group dynamic and participation. This relates to my prior posting that mentions how online groups perform better to complete a task, and why. I would say in the text, it seems to favor online communication for a few reasons a. anonymity b. no need to worry about proximity c. group size can be large and still function well and d. equal participation among it’s members with greater number of remarks in group meetings. I really hadn’t thought about proximity as being a big influence on my ability to work in a group, but mainly I’d say the amount of external noise really effects people’s ability to focus, and alone with a laptop we can gather our thoughts more effectively, so it makes sense.
No comments:
Post a Comment