Thursday, March 24, 2011

listening is a leadership skill

When I used to teach, I made a point to remember names of all my students and parents the first week. I always remembered each child's name the first day, because I listen. I truly feel people dont listen, or put importance at a first meeting, to TRY to remember someones name. How often do you hear "I'm just bad with names" (?) It is impossible this many people really can't remember. Listening is the number one life skill I feel EVERYONE needs to practice.
Chapter 7 points out "Ineffective people are eager to be heard but often do not take the time to understand the other persons perspective before speaking." The older a person becomes, for the most part, the less they talk. I truly feel learning to listen takes time, because our ego's speak for themselves during youth, wanting to be admired and adored. I feel if people were motivated to try and calm their minds while listening, we could be more effective leaders, group members and friends, thus less misunderstandings and quarrels.

2 comments:

  1. Hey there coffee shop girl. I really enjoyed reading your post for this week. I completely agree that people just don't listen as much as they should. I see it all the time in my classes. Not by the professors, but by the students. I also see it when I'm in social situations as well. I don't know why people don't feel that it is important to what people are saying. I also agree with you that listening is the number one life skill that everyone needs to practice. When you don't listen you miss out on important messages and experiences. I really like your last statement about people calming their minds while listening because we could be more effective leaders, group members and friends, which will ultimately lead to less misunderstandings and quarrels. I completely agree with that statement. Good job on your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent points you make. Listening is truly an acquired skill, and you make a good point - the older people get, the more they listen and the less they feel they have to talk. You learn much more by listening than you do talking, and I believe that is part of the reason it is a good leadership skill. The other reason is that it builds respect from your small group members if they feel like they can come to you with anything, and that you are hearing everything, not just what you want to hear, or who you want to listen to. By hearing all points of view, the leader is the most informed person in the group, and they are the most capable of making the best decisions for the group.

    I heard a funny anecdote the other day, "Every time you interrupt someone, your brain shrinks." (the word "brain" was actually something slightly more vulgar.. male genitalia.. lol.. But I tell my wife the brain version!)

    ReplyDelete