Thursday, April 28, 2011

negotiations

 I thought negotiation was an interesting part of chapter 12.It ensures that through compromise each side ‘wins’ Successful negotiation involves planning and strategy and often a mediator is used to keep the ground level. The third party is not responsible for disagreements among the two sides, and each side needs to keep up their side of the bargain. At work I often experience this, and because there really is no way for EVERYONE to be happy we do this so each gets part of what they were looking to accomplish. There are five requirements of negotiation which are a. A thorough understanding of both sides of the problem b. a strong rational for ones own point of view c. a list of things that can be conceded without changing the ultimate goal  and last and probably most importantly respect of the sides perspective. I love that the book mentions respect, however unfortunately in business, which can be quite cutthroat, it’s sometimes trumpled.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you mentioned respect can very often become overlooked in trying to negotiate with others... especially in business situations, but in personal situations as well. I know if I ever find myself in a minor argument with one of my siblings, friends, or even boyfriend a lot of times respect can get thrown out of the window. When it all comes down to it, it seems like everyone is willing to "negotiate" a resolution... but sometimes it just seems like people are simply agreeing to disagree and nothing ever gets solved. In my opinion, I think you can separate the genuine resolutions from the fake resolutions by looking at the respect ratio... if there is no respect, there is no resolution and if there is respect there is a genuine resolution to the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey coffee shop girl. You did a really good job on your post for this week. I really liked that you brought up the concept of negotiations. Negotiations are a big part of life. We negotiate at work, at home, and with our friends. I like that you said there is no way that everyone will be happy in groups and that is why negotiations are made. I feel that negotiations are one of the best ways to solve problems. I feel that they are the best way to keep everyone happy. Even though some may not get exactly what they want, they do end up getting part of it. I liked that you mentioned the five requirements of negotiations. It is important to understand the requirements of negotiations in order to have the best outcomes.

    ReplyDelete